Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just Lauren....no B

So most of you know that Lauren started a new school after Christmas break.  It's going well.  I was shocked that she adjusted so quickly.  She's known as LAUREN at this new school, not LAUREN B. She went from a classroom of 25 kids including Lauren B, Lauryn J and Lauren O.  She's always been Lauren B.  Poor kid still signs her name like that at times : ) Going from a private school to a public school is a big change.  I was more nervous than she was the first day.  I walked her to her classroom and introduced her to Ms. Malle.  (funny side note....after a week or so I realized that her teacher was a year behind me in high school and we actually know each other.  what are the chances?)  A little girl walked over to her and helped her gather some books and get things put away in her desk.  She acted very grown up but I knew she was nervous.  I was nervous!  I thought God please let someone befriend her, sit with her at lunch, play with her at recess....  It turns out that switching schools in the middle of the year was a good thing.  She was the new face and kids were excited to get to know her.  She even rode the bus home that afternoon (gasp...made me nervous).  She survived : )  I still weigh the pro's and con's of public vs private.  I'll always be thankful for the time she spent at Abiding and the foundation it gave her.  She has a very strong faith and knows far more than her mother does.  The downside of a small school is that it's just that...small.  She was ready to expand her world, meet new kids, try new activities.  Public school definetly has a lot to offer.  Tons of clubs to choose from, kids from different backgrounds and is a little more laid back.  I was shocked to discover how far behind my little darling was in math though.  These kids are almost an entire semester ahead of where she left off before Christmas.  OY!  Thank God my cousin Michelle is a math major and has saved my ass on more than one occasion.  They do things that I didn't do in high school.  If this is what 4th grade is all about I fear for 5th!  On the upside public school offers a lot of resources to help (free of charge may I add).  I do however miss my 2020's.  (everyone always wanted to know what "2020's" were.  at Abiding each class' parents had a nickname for their little group.  our kids will graduate in 2020....hints the name).  I'm thankful for the friends that I made during our time there.  Reprogle's, Madlinger's, Fritsche's to name a few : ) 
I hope we always remain in touch and when we hang out Miss. Lauren will turn back into LAUREN B.

1 comment:

  1. I think public schools are fine. I'm not a huge fan of the indoctrination that occurs at most private schools. That being said, I do believe they do offer more opportunities in the form of higher learning. She (Lauren) will have to work a bit harder if she does, in fact, plan on attending a prestigious college.

    Not all is lost, however. She will ascertain a different skill set that she wouldn't otherwise be exposed to at a private school. That of individuality and free-thinking. Her ability to network with people will be elevated as well. Embrace these traits, as they are vital for advancement in the hierarchy of the corporate world we live in.

    Chuck is going to be just fine. You're a good mom for worrying.

    ReplyDelete